Seasonal shift patterns in manufacturing
Don’t let peak production periods harm your business
Whilst these are often the most important production periods of the year…the wrong shift patterns, rotas and rosters can also make them the most unprofitable and create significant employee relations challenges.
The downside of success
- Impact budgets significantly – Relying on expensive, short-term labour impacts working capital, erodes margin and can make times of peak demand some of the least profitable.
- Take up valuable time – Significant effort is required to recruit, train and manage a temporary workforce for it to deliver the performance levels required during busy production times.
- Create performance issues – Capacity gaps, un-motivated agency staff and over-worked full time shift workers can lead to additional waste and quality problems during a manufacturer’s busiest time.
- Increase risk – Trying to cover peak demand using overtime can affect employees’ work life balance, ultimately demoralising the workforce, harming productivity and impacting retention and employer brand. There is also the risk of significant fines and negative reputational impact for breaching Working Time Regulations or accidents and health issues related to fatigue.
It’s all in the demand data
Responsive resourcing & seasonal shift patterns
Avoiding complexity and workforce management headaches
- The ability to design custom shift lengths and durations…key to building seasonal shift patterns that ensure supply is aligned to demand.
- Scenario modelling capabilities to engage with shift workers and find optimised solutions for any given season or demand profile.
- Calendars which provide an accurate forward view over key information (e.g. who is on shift, their hours worked, availability and skill sets) and provide employees complete visibility over their working hours across the year.
- Streamlined workflows, intuitive tools and live dashboards to assess rosters, examine cover delivered, monitor balances/variations/Working Time Regulations compliance and automated pinpointing of potential capacity gaps, clashes and inconsistencies.
- Rostering and scheduling tools to reschedule resources in real time…adapting schedules, shift patterns and rotas or rotas to meet fluctuating demand.